So I’ve done a bit of cross-browser testing for my new CatCubed design:
- Safari, Chrome (i.e., Webkit): works perfect
- iPhone Mobile Safari (i.e., Webkit): works but any fixed attachment is ignored (this is due to how the iphone browser works)
- Firefox, Camino (i.e., Gecko): works except for multiple background images
- Internet Explorer 8: Works (after a small fix) but is ugly due to lack of CSS3 support
- Internet Explorer 7: fails dramatically because of IE float bugs
- Internet Explorer 6: fails dramatically because of IE float bugs and lack of CSS2 support
- Opera 10: fails somewhat due to a bug in how Opera handles floats. Also is ugly due to lack of CSS3 support
Also, thanks to Jason I found (and fixed) a bug that only occured on large monitors (24″ or more).
As I mentioned, I added a small fix for IE so it’s readable,
but I’m not bothering to fix the IE6 or IE7 massive fails. Also, I added a “why don’t you try another browser” warning to the site for IE users.
Just thought I’d mention that this redesign is meant as a means for me to experiment with new techniques and do so quickly, which is why I am no longer fully supporting IE with this site. There are workarounds for many of the techniques that I am using on this site, but it would take me at least twice as long to implement. All my real work projects will continue to be built with a graceful degradation / progressive enhancement process in mind.