With the latest iphone update (1.1.4) offering nothing more than bug fixes, I thought I’d get around to posting my list of iphone most wanted. Many of these have been stated before, but a few I haven’t heard anyone mention.
Been said before, gonna say it again
- Copy & Paste
- Airtunes support – I wanna play my iphone tunes directly to my Airport Express
- Video capture support via the camera
- iChat – Though I don’t know how much I’d use it as I’m not as much of an AIM junkie as I used to be, but it’d be nice to have. Bonjour ichat with other local network iphones would be kinda cool too.
- Horizontal keyboard anywhere – would be great to have this for Notes, SMS, email, etc. And while your at it squish this keyboard vertically a bit more to give one more line of text visible.
- Search functionality – for email and a global spotlight which searches sms, email, notes, etc.
- vcard sending – I should be able to send my contact info as a vcard via email or even maybe bluetooth.
- wifi sync – at least for contacts and calendar
- Taking a photo for assigning to a contact should also place that picture in your photo roll.
- Email map routes to others. This should include the text list and a link to a google map.
- Save photo you get via email into your photos
Few new ideas that I haven’t heard elsewhere
- Network Printing – I’d love to print the occasional email or map directions via my networked printer.
- Clicking on the upper-left edge/wifi icon should bring you to the wifi settings screen – there are several times I’d like to easily turn off wifi so that it doesn’t ask me to join a network.
- Safari should have a larger (adjustable) cache – I hate when I load a new tab and then find out that all my other tabs are now blank. Also it should remember the previous pages info better. Come on I have over a gig free still use it!
- When zoomed all the way out on a web page a horizontal swipe should move to the next/prev tab – Since photos does this I keep expecting safari to do this.
- One The Go favorites photoset – make this work just like a music on the go playlist (which by the way I love the iphone’s on the go playlist functionality!)
- iCal event subscriptions should update directly from your iphone via the web – as it is I have to sync to my computer to get new subscribed events, which is dumb.
Things I don’t really need
- MMS – Don’t care. Sending my photos via email is more useful.
Third party apps I can’t wait for (come on release the SDK!)
- Twitter client
- Real Notes/Word-like app – ideally it would allow use of MarkDown formatting and have post to blog functionality
- To do app
- better calculator with “paper tape”
- better weather app – I want an hourly (or at least morn/afternoon/evening) forecast and the ability to see what the weather was like yesterday (great for comparison)
- RSS reader which downloads feeds so I can read offline
- a game. Hell almost any game will do. Though I am particularly interested in an iphone version of DopeWars. I can remember the stupid amount I played that on my Palm back in the day.